Wednesday, January 23, 2008

where i've been

i am flattered to pieces to know that you've been missing my blog. (all 5 of you:))
here's where i've been--
when i was in college, trying to finish my studio art thesis my senior year, in that tiny, annoying nudge that serves as God's voice to me at times, i felt like i needed to throw my journal out the window.
literally.
so on a warm september afternoon in walla walla, in my studio on boyer ave., i opened the window wide and threw my juicy detailed journal out the window into the backyard, turned back to my canvas and tried desperately to communicate with God through paint.
so, here i am again.
i'm supposed to be painting.
i'm not all that amazing at painting, but God has called me to it.
it feels like a fluffy calling, but it is what it is.
it's mine.
so that's where i've been. i haven't been writing, i've been painting.
and it's hard--i would so rather be here with you, on my couch late at night.
my studio is a shack of shack, freezing cold and dark. filled with saw dust and spiders and damp, watery air. as i tramp around in the dark, fumbling around in the rain with my keys and my grumbly attitude, i always wonder if i'm going to run into a homeless person sleeping between our house and the studio. but i never have. and once inside, i feel pretty alive with God, even if it's not my preferred venue of communicating thoughts on faith and life.
so thanks for checking on me here.
i'll write again sometime.
and maybe i can post some of the junk i'm painting. we'll see.
love to all and i'll see you in the next blog.

sl